Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Politics, Geeks, Entertainment and You


Is politics too boring for regular people? As I peruse my blog and that of fellow Wisconsin bloggers, I really have to wonder if we're all a bunch of geeks blabbering to ourselves. If anyone out there is reading this, I hope you take no offense. I seem to be as bad as the rest of you. I wonder about this because I've spent extensive periods myself not caring about all this crap. It really does give you a headache after awhile, doesn't it? Might it not just be easier and more pleasant to just look away?
Is following the latest news from Steve Wieckert or Herbie Kohl really that interesting? And do normal people even care?

If you've seen things like Rob Cowles latest cave-in or a Bill Lorge speech up close, you eventually can't help but become turned off by the whole thing. And criticizing the idiots isn't all that satisfying either, since we're the ones that fund and elect them. To me, it's easy to understand why the laymen and the geek would eventually feel the need to turn away. It's the same thing that happens when someone really exceptional enters the Legislature. They sit in the closed caucuses and experience Tom Reynolds speaking in tongues. Or they go to the Inn on the Park, and get to know their colleagues better. It has to become tiring in many excruciating ways.

Charlie Sykes makes it interesting and entertaining. Rush used to make it interesting and entertaining. But it's hard for the rest of us. I guess I've decided to take up the challenge because I've come to the conclusion that it's better to be in than out of the conversation. I hate the dogma, the righteousness, the buffoons, and often the results. But leaving public policy to the politicians is really the cowards way out. I hope I can stick it out.

That having been said, I think we should all try to talk about a few things other than Wisconsin politics. Don't turn away, just diversify. So don't be disappointed when the first cookie recipes or movie reviews appear on this site. For the political talk alone will eventually become unbearable.

Comments:
Blue pill vs. red...
 
I take the purple pill.

It doesn't free you from evil, but let's you know you're totally screwed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?