Wednesday, February 15, 2006

THE SALMAN RUSHDIE OF BLOGGING



I appreciate the support for my earlier posting of the Danish cartoons from Texas Hold'm and others, but I'm a little surprised that more of you have not followed my lead and posted the "offensive" material. Are you censoring yourselves, afraid that you might end up as the Salman Rushdie of blogging? Or are you just too politically correct to support free speech about other people's religion?

The Danish claim they meant no disrespect to Islam, but I can't say the same. Worship as you wish, but your superstitions make no more sense than the ramblings of Pat Robertson. I don't respect him, and I don't respect the extremists of Islam. Abandon your medievelism for the liberty of a secular society. And the spread of Islam will never be a good thing for me or my children. After all, Mohammed also condemns the unbeliever to eternal hellfire and demands the permanent subjugation of women.

Islam. I don't respect you.

Those of you who do respect Islam should still be willing to post these cartoons. Not to piss people off, but to make the point that free speech is to be respected and that the modern world will never bow to the prejudices of the ignorant. I grant you the right to worship as you wish, and you're going to have to grant me the right to disagree.

If we are truly engaged in a battle to decide the direction of our world, then I must declare myself as a child of the enlightenment and advocate of free speech, opposed to the dark side of Islamic extremism. And to paraphrase President Bush, you are either with us or you are with the terrorists.

Where do you stand? And if you're afraid of offending anyone, why would you be writing a blog.

Comments:
Thanks for reminding me to restore my pics (which I shamelessly "borrowed" from you); they were the two items I hadn't restored after having the new blog go poof on me (it's a long story; short version is I tried to update WordPress and Yahoo, my bost, didn't like it)
 
"Host", even. Now where did I put that pic of Snaglepuss?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?